The vision of the International Initiatives Program of the Society, established in 2009, is to broaden the footprint of the Society in regions of the world where it is underrepresented by supporting the scholarly study of the Bible and by increasing the Society’s membership in these regions.
It does so through developing initiatives in regions through its four Liaison Committees:
Each year’s activities are summarised in the current Annual Report.
The current Assistant Secretary for International initiatives is Emeritus Professor William Loader, who works closely with these LCs, also carries responsibility for
- approving applications for Sponsorships in consultation with the Treasurer
- approving applications for Electronic Library Access. A special arrangement between Stellenbosch University and SNTS for scholars in remote regions or with limited library facilities (in operation since 2011). Access by application to the Assistant Secretary
- and promoting the vision of the International Initiatives among members
- by holding before them the importance of taking individual initiatives to encourage emerging scholars and nominate potential members from the underrepresented regions
- by encouraging them to make financial contributions towards the work of International Initiatives to the International Fund which currently makes a limited number of sponsorships available
- and by seeking to ensure that those responsible for leadership in annual meetings ensure that scholars from the regions are included in their offerings